Technical Information: Hanging Instructions
Commercial Wallcovering Hanging Instructions
All wall surfaces should be structurally sound. Sand finished plaster should be smoothed. In order to insure good adhesion, old wallcovering and loose paint flakes should be removed. All wall surfaces should be primed with a suitable acrylic primer (ECO-988 by Roman recommended). Do not hang wallcovering over ballpoint pen writing, wax crayon, wick pen markings, or foreign matter that may be on the wall. These impurities may bleed through the wallcoverings even a year after installation. It is suggested that lead pencils be used to mark wallcovering or walls as the use of a pencil should not produce bleed through after effects.
In order to insure maximum smoothness of installation, nail heads, nicks, gouges and other surface imperfections should be sanded smooth and sealed. On new walls, dry wall joints should be taped, bedded and sanded smooth.
Buildings that have moisture infiltration problems are at risk for mold and mildew growth and any such problems must be corrected prior to the installation of commercial wallcovering. This product is intended for use in buildings that are properly designed and maintained to avoid moisture infiltration, condensation and/or accumulation at wall cavities and wall surfaces, particularly in warm, humid climates.
1. A premium quality, premixed, full strength commercial wallcovering adhesive (ECO-788 clay adhesive or ECO-888 clear adhesive by Roman recommended) should be applied to the fabric side of the wallcovering, not the wall.
2. Do not dilute the paste.
3. The adhesive should be stored at room temperature (70ºF).
4. Use of a mildew inhibitor in the adhesive is recommended.
1. Store the wallcovering in a clean, dry and protected environment. Maintain temperature of wallcovering between 70ºF and l00ºF for at least 72 hours prior to and during the installation.
2. Wall surface should be undamaged, smooth, clean, dry, structurally sound, and free of mold, mildew, grease, or stains.
3. Before cutting, be sure the pattern and color are satisfactory as specified.
4. Before hanging, examine pattern for color uniformity and repeat in design. If there is no design repeat (random texture) patterns should normally be reverse hung.
5. Before installation, verify that wall moisture content does not exceed 4% (using a suitable moisture meter) and that active moisture or water vapor infiltration is not present.
6. Before installation, verify that walls are free from mold and mildew. If mold or mildew is present, or if walls show visible moisture damage, or if moisture content exceeds recommendations, do not proceed with installation until the condition has been fully corrected under the direction of a qualified expert.
7. All material must be installed in numerical roll sequence starting with the highest number.
8. If, after applying three (3) strips, there is some question of appearance, stop and contact your local representative.
9. Apply an even coat of adhesive to the fabric side of material using a roller or pasting machine. The wallcovering should be booked for a minimum of 12 minutes for vinyl wallcovering products. When pasting several strips in advance, booking is recommended to insure proper wetting out of the fibers. Fold each end toward the middle, pasted sides together, aligning the edges carefully to prevent the paste on the edges from drying out. Caution: Do not crease the wallcovering! Avoid the stacking of strips that are pasted and booked in advance, as the added weight could cause creasing. Install wallcovering using a plastic smoother, working out air bubbles. Caution: Remove excess paste immediately with clean water and a moist natural sponge. Do not use man made (i.e. polyester) sponges. Dry with a clean cloth. If excess paste is not removed; permanent damage could result to the face of the wallcovering.
10. This wallcovering is untrimmed. Both match and random patterns must be double cut. On match patterns we recommend notching the overlapping selvage exposing the underlying pattern to insure a proper match.
11. Only full widths of material should be used for the most satisfactory installation. Headers can cause unsatisfactory shading if hung out of sequence; as with all wallcoverings, certain deeply embossed patterns will provide a more satisfactory seam if a selvage cut is taken from each side of the sheet ("double cut"). Do not "score" the dry wall.
Download Commercial Wallcovering Hanging Instructions (PDF)
Download Commercial Wallcovering Hanging Instructions (Spanish) (PDF)